About Gushan District

  • Brief introduction

              Gushan District was named out of Dagushan (Dagu Hill). Originally, Takaoshan (Takao Hill) was the settlement of Makatao Tribe, also known as Takau (meaning bamboo) Tribe, which was a branch tribe of Pingpu Tribe. Takaoshan was also pronounced as Takaoshe or Dagushe in its transliteration. In 1923, Governor Den Kenjiro climbed up Takaoshan to celebrate the birthday of the Japanese Prince Hirohito of that time, and then renamed the hill as Shoushan up to now.

    鼓山區位置

              With an area of 14.7523 square kilometers, Gushan District is long from the north to the south, and narrow from the east to the west. Its eastern side has Bo-ai Road and Zuoying District in the north, and has Lover River and Sanmin District in the south, connecting with the coastal railway and Yancheng District by the side of Gushan 1st and 2nd Roads. It borders Takaoshan (Shoushan, Chaishan) and Taiwan Strait to the west, borders Kaohsiung Harbor and the opposite shore’s Cijin District to the south, and borders Yucheng Road, Dongmen Road, Trunk Line Railway and Zuoying District to the north.

              The inner harbor of Kaohsiung Harbor at the southern end of Gushan District has a vast space to make it become a natural good harbor, which has long been a hub of prosperity with big vessels sailing in and out frequently. Besides, the main range and sub-ranges of Shoushan have formed an absolutely good geographical environment that the district is in front of a hill and faces the sea. In addition, Gushan District was born to develop industries and fishing industry, and becomes a significant spot of international trade.
     

City News